vendredi 1 janvier 2010

Week 9: A chicken

I really wish that I had taken a picture of this one!!! It as just too good to wait though!
What did I make??? A chicken!!!

Betty Crocker can take the credit for this one. I followed her table as to how long to cook the chicken and i took her basic stuffing recipe (it tastes just like stovetop!!!!!!!)

For the chicken, I didn't do much. I just bought it and stuffed it.
The chicken was less than three pounds, so the meaturments for the stuffing gave me a little more than i needed-- so think accordingly if you are going to make this recipe. Betty Crocker says that you need about 3/4 cup of stuffing for every pound of meat.

for the stuffing I sauteed 1/4 cup of onion and 1/3 cup of celery (leaves included) with about 1/3 cup of butter

On the side, I sliced three cups bread cubes from normal sliced bread (i used cheap wheat bread)

when the onion and celery were soft, I added 1 cup of bread crumbs and cooked for about another minute, then i took it off the heat and added the rest of the breadcrumbs with
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/3 teaspoon thyme
and a little salt and pepper
I mixed it all up them put it in my chicken

I cooked the chicken at 190 degees C for almost two hours.

The last 1/2 hour i added my red potatoes.
For that, I sliced red potatoes (about 4 pieces per small red poatoto)
then i tossed them with olive oil, parsley and garlic, but them on a baking try and placed them in the oven with the chicken.

When the chicken was done, i took the leftover fat, added a little flour and had gravy!!!

It was really good and I think it was a good think for Yvan because one of the things that he looks foward to at his parent's house is their Sunday tradition of cooking chicken for lunch.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire